JournalInternational Journal of Hyperthermia
PublisherTaylor and Francis Ltd
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractQuality assurance (QA) guidelines are essential to provide uniform execution of clinical hyperthermia treatments and trials. This document outlines the clinical and technical consequences of the specific properties of interstitial heat delivery and specifies recommendations for hyperthermia administration with interstitial techniques. Interstitial hyperthermia aims at tumor temperatures in the 40–44 °C range as an adjunct to radiation or chemotherapy. The clinical part of this document imparts specific clinical experience of interstitial heat delivery to various tumor sites as well as recommended interstitial hyperthermia workflow and procedures. The second part describes technical requirements for quality assurance of current interstitial heating equipment including electromagnetic (radiative and capacitive) and ultrasound heating techniques. Detailed instructions are provided on characterization and documentation of the performance of interstitial hyperthermia applicators to achieve reproducible hyperthermia treatments of uniform high quality. Output power and consequent temperature rise are the key parameters for characterization of applicator performance in these QA guidelines. These characteristics determine the specific maximum tumor size and depth that can be heated adequately. The guidelines were developed by the ESHO Technical Committee with participation of senior STM members and members of the Atzelsberg Circle. Copyright 2019 The Author(s). Published with license by Taylor & Francis Group, LLC.
Identifier to cite or link to this itemhttps://www.scopus.com/inward/record.uri?eid=2-s2.0-85060648017&doi=10.1080%2f02656736.2018.1564155&partnerID=40&md5=d39bf82ceea274f3ad7f344977996f0c; http://hdl.handle.net/10713/10734
- Quality assurance guidelines for superficial hyperthermia clinical trials : II. Technical requirements for heating devices.
- Authors: Dobšíček Trefná H, Crezee J, Schmidt M, Marder D, Lamprecht U, Ehmann M, Nadobny J, Hartmann J, Lomax N, Abdel-Rahman S, Curto S, Bakker A, Hurwitz MD, Diederich CJ, Stauffer PR, Van Rhoon GC
- Issue date: 2017 May
- Quality assurance guidelines for superficial hyperthermia clinical trials: I. Clinical requirements.
- Authors: Trefná HD, Crezee H, Schmidt M, Marder D, Lamprecht U, Ehmann M, Hartmann J, Nadobny J, Gellermann J, van Holthe N, Ghadjar P, Lomax N, Abdel-Rahman S, Bert C, Bakker A, Hurwitz MD, Diederich CJ, Stauffer PR, van Rhoon GC
- Issue date: 2017 Jun
- RTOG quality assurance guidelines for interstitial hyperthermia.
- Authors: Emami B, Stauffer P, Dewhirst MW, Prionas S, Ryan T, Corry P, Herman T, Kapp DS, Myerson RJ, Samulski T
- Issue date: 1991 May
- Quality assurance protocol for superficial and deep hyperthermia systems established by the Hellenic Association of Medical Physicists (HAMP) in cooperation with the Hellenic Society of Oncologic Hyperthemia (HSOH): A study based on European Society for Hyperthermic Oncology (ESHO) quality assurance guidelines.
- Authors: Triantopoulou S, Platoni K, Antypas C, Karaiskos P, Armpilia C, Uzunoglou N, Kouloulias V
- Issue date: 2018 Mar-Apr
- ESHO quality assurance guidelines for regional hyperthermia.
- Authors: Lagendijk JJ, Van Rhoon GC, Hornsleth SN, Wust P, De Leeuw AC, Schneider CJ, Van Dijk JD, Van Der Zee J, Van Heek-Romanowski R, Rahman SA, Gromoll C
- Issue date: 1998 Mar-Apr