Pregnancy galectinology: Insights into a complex network of glycan binding proteins
JournalFrontiers in Immunology
PublisherFrontiers Media S.A.
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractGalectins are a phylogenetically conserved family of soluble ?-galactoside binding proteins, consisting of 15 different types, each with a specific function. Galectins contribute to placentation by regulating trophoblast development, migration, and invasion during early pregnancy. In addition, galectins are critical players regulating maternal immune tolerance to the embedded embryo. Recently, the role of galectins in angiogenesis during decidualization and in placenta formation has gained attention. Altered expression of galectins is associated with abnormal pregnancies and infertility. This review focuses on the role of galectins in pregnancy-associated processes and discusses the relevance of galectin-glycan interactions as potential therapeutic targets in pregnancy disorders. Copyright Copyright 2019 Blois, Dveksler, Vasta, Freitag, Blanchard and Barrientos.
Identifier to cite or link to this itemhttps://www.scopus.com/inward/record.uri?eid=2-s2.0-85068546839&doi=10.3389%2ffimmu.2019.01166&partnerID=40&md5=1e2e36a21db2ed4f35c536669e78f559; http://hdl.handle.net/10713/10724
- Galectins: guardians of eutherian pregnancy at the maternal-fetal interface.
- Authors: Than NG, Romero R, Kim CJ, McGowen MR, Papp Z, Wildman DE
- Issue date: 2012 Jan
- Galectin binding to cells and glycoproteins with genetically modified glycosylation reveals galectin-glycan specificities in a natural context.
- Authors: Nielsen MI, Stegmayr J, Grant OC, Yang Z, Nilsson UJ, Boos I, Carlsson MC, Woods RJ, Unverzagt C, Leffler H, Wandall HH
- Issue date: 2018 Dec 28
- Evolutionary origins of the placental expression of chromosome 19 cluster galectins and their complex dysregulation in preeclampsia.
- Authors: Than NG, Romero R, Xu Y, Erez O, Xu Z, Bhatti G, Leavitt R, Chung TH, El-Azzamy H, LaJeunesse C, Wang B, Balogh A, Szalai G, Land S, Dong Z, Hassan SS, Chaiworapongsa T, Krispin M, Kim CJ, Tarca AL, Papp Z, Bohn H
- Issue date: 2014 Nov
- Galectins in angiogenesis: consequences for gestation.
- Authors: Blois SM, Conrad ML, Freitag N, Barrientos G
- Issue date: 2015 Apr
- Reduced placental protein 13 (PP13) in placental derived syncytiotrophoblast extracellular vesicles in preeclampsia - A novel tool to study the impaired cargo transmission of the placenta to the maternal organs.
- Authors: Sammar M, Dragovic R, Meiri H, Vatish M, Sharabi-Nov A, Sargent I, Redman C, Tannetta D
- Issue date: 2018 Jun