Loss-of-function mutations with circadian rhythm regulator Per1/Per2 lead to premature ovarian insufficiency
JournalBiology of reproduction
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractThe mechanism underlying premature ovarian insufficiency remains incompletely understood. Here we report that mice with Per1m/m; Per2m/m double mutations display a decrease in female fertility starting approximately at 20 weeks old, with significantly less pups born from 32 weeks old onwards. Histological analysis revealed that a significant reduction of ovarian follicles was observed in the Per1/Per2 mutants compared with the littermate controls examined at 26 and 52 weeks old, while the difference was not statistically significant between the two groups at 3 and 8 weeks old. We further showed that vascular development including the ovarian follicle associated vascular growth appeared normal in the Per1/Per2 mutant mice, although clock genes were reported to regulate angiogenesis in zebrafish. The findings imply that loss-of-function mutations with Per1/Per2 result in a premature depletion of ovarian follicle reserve leading to the decline of reproductive capacity. Copyright The Author(s) 2018.
Identifier to cite or link to this itemhttps://www.scopus.com/inward/record.uri?eid=2-s2.0-85068538072&doi=10.1093%2fbiolre%2fioy245&partnerID=40&md5=23b8069535ebb610af511418462a2486; http://hdl.handle.net/10713/10679
- The Tau mutation of casein kinase 1ε sets the period of the mammalian pacemaker via regulation of Period1 or Period2 clock proteins.
- Authors: Maywood ES, Chesham JE, Smyllie NJ, Hastings MH
- Issue date: 2014 Apr
- Rigid Cooperation of Per1 and Per2 proteins.
- Authors: Tamiya H, Ogawa S, Ouchi Y, Akishita M
- Issue date: 2016 Sep 9
- Circadian time-dependent tumor suppressor function of period genes.
- Authors: Yang X, Wood PA, Ansell C, Hrushesky WJ
- Issue date: 2009 Dec
- Age and oestrus cycle-related changes in glucocorticoid excretion and wheel-running activity in female mice carrying mutations in the circadian clock genes Per1 and Per2.
- Authors: Pilorz V, Steinlechner S, Oster H
- Issue date: 2009 Jan 8
- Clock genes and cancer.
- Authors: Wood PA, Yang X, Hrushesky WJ
- Issue date: 2009 Dec