Knowns and unknowns of assaying antibody-dependent cell-mediated cytotoxicity against HIV-1
JournalFrontiers in Immunology
PublisherFrontiers Media S.A.
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractIt is now well-accepted that Fc-mediated effector functions, including antibody-dependent cellular cytotoxicity (ADCC), can contribute to vaccine-elicited protection as well as post-infection control of HIV viremia. This picture was derived using a wide array of ADCC assays, no two of which are strictly comparable, and none of which is qualified at the clinical laboratory level. An earlier comparative study of assay protocols showed that while data from different ADCC assay formats were often correlated, they remained distinct in terms of target cells and the epitopes and antigen(s) available for recognition by antibodies, the effector cells, and the readout of cytotoxicity. This initial study warrants expanded analyses of the relationships among all current assay formats to determine where they detect overlapping activities and where they do not. Here we summarize knowns and unknowns of assaying ADCC against HIV-1. Copyright Copyright 2019 Lewis, Ackerman, Scarlatti, Moog, Robert-Guroff, Kent, Overbaugh, Reeves, Ferrari and Thyagarajan. This is an open-access article distributed under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution License (CC BY). The use, distribution or reproduction in other forums is permitted, provided the original author(s) and the copyright owner(s) are credited and that the original publication in this journal is cited, in accordance with accepted academic practice. No use, distribution or reproduction is permitted which does not comply with these terms.
KeywordADCC-antibody dependent cellular cytotoxicity
HIV-human immunodeficiency virus
Identifier to cite or link to this itemhttps://www.scopus.com/inward/record.uri?eid=2-s2.0-85067010419&doi=10.3389%2ffimmu.2019.01025&partnerID=40&md5=4f94a60c64b3dfa8fee731284c3e5392; http://hdl.handle.net/10713/10672
- Topical Tenofovir Pre-exposure Prophylaxis and Mucosal HIV-Specific Fc-Mediated Antibody Activities in Women.
- Authors: Fisher KL, Mabuka JM, Sivro A, Ngcapu S, Passmore JS, Osman F, Ndlovu B, Abdool Karim Q, Abdool Karim SS, Chung AW, Baxter C, Archary D
- Issue date: 2020
- VH1-69 Utilizing Antibodies Are Capable of Mediating Non-neutralizing Fc-Mediated Effector Functions Against the Transmitted/Founder gp120.
- Authors: Smith SA, Burton SL, Kilembe W, Lakhi S, Karita E, Price M, Allen S, Derdeyn CA
- Issue date: 2018
- HIV-specific Fc effector function early in infection predicts the development of broadly neutralizing antibodies.
- Authors: Richardson SI, Chung AW, Natarajan H, Mabvakure B, Mkhize NN, Garrett N, Abdool Karim S, Moore PL, Ackerman ME, Alter G, Morris L
- Issue date: 2018 Apr
- Beyond Viral Neutralization.
- Authors: Lewis GK, Pazgier M, Evans DT, Ferrari G, Bournazos S, Parsons MS, Bernard NF, Finzi A
- Issue date: 2017 Aug
- Structural definition of an antibody-dependent cellular cytotoxicity response implicated in reduced risk for HIV-1 infection.
- Authors: Acharya P, Tolbert WD, Gohain N, Wu X, Yu L, Liu T, Huang W, Huang CC, Kwon YD, Louder RK, Luongo TS, McLellan JS, Pancera M, Yang Y, Zhang B, Flinko R, Foulke JS Jr, Sajadi MM, Kamin-Lewis R, Robinson JE, Martin L, Kwong PD, Guan Y, DeVico AL, Lewis GK, Pazgier M
- Issue date: 2014 Nov