Effectiveness of a Comprehensive 4-Week Course in HIV Medicine for Postgraduate Doctors at University of Nigeria: A Preservice Education Initiative
JournalJournal of the International Association of Providers of AIDS Care
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractThere is a critical shortage of trained human immunodeficiency virus (HIV) providers in resource-limited settings. To strengthen preservice HIV training for postgraduate health care providers, University of Maryland's Institute of Human Virology and Center for Clinical Care and Research Nigeria collaborated with University of Nigeria to plan and implement a comprehensive 4-week course in HIV medicine. The first course was piloted with 30 postgraduate doctors. Mean objective structured clinical examinations (OSCE), pretest, and posttest scores score were 51%, 53%, and 75%, respectively; follow-up examination at 6 months showed mean score of 74%. In multivariate regression analysis, pretest score was positively associated with posttest score (22.03, P < .001) and OSCE (0.29, P = .04), age negatively associated with pretest score (-0.94, P = .001), and female gender positively associated with OSCE score (6.15, P = .05). Six- and 18-month online surveys revealed trainees continued to apply knowledge and skills gained. North-south university collaborations to develop practicum-based preservice curricula offer a sustainable way to strengthen preservice evidence-based HIV medicine training with long-lasting retention of skills and knowledge.
global north-south partnerships
human resources for health
Identifier to cite or link to this itemhttps://www.scopus.com/inward/record.uri?eid=2-s2.0-85063929589&doi=10.1177%2f2325958219831014&partnerID=40&md5=c99738dcb322f286cb540886a2a4c972; http://hdl.handle.net/10713/10613
- Offering an American graduate medical HIV course to health care workers in resource-limited settings via the Internet.
- Authors: Chung MH, Severynen AO, Hals MP, Harrington RD, Spach DH, Kim HN
- Issue date: 2012
- Postgraduate education in transfusion medicine in the absence of formal residency training: assessment of factors needed to develop and sustain a postgraduate diploma program.
- Authors: Louw VJ, Nel MM, Hay JF
- Issue date: 2013 Dec
- AIDS/HIV education for preservice elementary teachers.
- Authors: Ballard DJ, White DM, Glascoff MA
- Issue date: 1990 Aug
- A professional preparation course on AIDS/HIV infection.
- Authors: Dorman SM, Collins ME, Brey RA
- Issue date: 1990 Aug
- Health-related quality of life in people with chronic diseases managed in a low-resource setting - A study from South East Nigeria.
- Authors: Ijoma UN, Unaogu NN, Onyeka TI, Nwatu CB, Onyekonwu CL, Onwuekwe IO, Ugwumba F, Nwutobo RC, Nwachukwu CV
- Issue date: 2019 Sep