Effect of EDTA and QMIX Ultrasonic Activation on the Reduction of Microorganisms and Endotoxins in Ex Vivo Human Root Canals
JournalBrazilian dental journal
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractThe present study aimed to compare the effectiveness of QMiX and 17% EDTA associated to passive ultrasonic irrigation (PUI) or manual agitation (MA) on the reduction of E. faecalis, E. coli and LPS from root canals. Forty single rooted human teeth were randomly divided into four groups (n=10), according to the final irrigation protocol: EDTA+MA, QMiX+MA, EDTA+PUI, QMiX+PUI. Sample collections were obtained from the root canal content immediately before preparation (baseline-S1), after instrumentation (S2), after final irrigation protocol (S3) and 7 days after instrumentation and final irrigation (S4). The antimicrobial effectivity and on endotoxin content were analyzed by culture procedure (CFU/mL) and LAL assay (EU/mL), respectively. The results were statistically analyzed by Kruskal-Wallis and Friedman test (α=5%). QMiX+MA and QMiX+PUI reduced 100% of E. coli and E. faecalis bacteria and also prevented E. faecalisregrowth at S4. EDTA significantly reduced E. coli, but it was not effective in reducing E. faecalis. All protocols reduced EU/mL when compared to S1, however at S4 there was a significant reduction of EU/mL only in the QMiX+MA and QMiX+PUI groups in relation to S3 and S2, respectively. Final irrigation with QMiX associated with MA or PUI had superior antibacterial efficacy compared to EDTA, eliminating 100% of E. coli and E. faecalis strains. In addition, QMiX+PUI reduced 97.61% of the initial content of LPS.
Identifier to cite or link to this itemhttps://www.scopus.com/inward/record.uri?eid=2-s2.0-85067513563&doi=10.1590%2f0103-6440201902470&partnerID=40&md5=8a50a4354289f7e0a617e15779f5b101; http://hdl.handle.net/10713/10612
- Effect of sodium hypochlorite solution and gel with/without passive ultrasonic irrigation on <i>Enterococcus faecalis</i>, <i>Escherichia coli</i> and their endotoxins.
- Authors: Abu Hasna A, Pereira Da Silva L, Pelegrini FC, Ferreira CLR, de Oliveira LD, Carvalho CAT
- Issue date: 2020
- QMix® irrigant reduces lipopolysacharide (LPS) levels in an in vitro model.
- Authors: Gründling GL, Melo TA, Montagner F, Scarparo RK, Vier-Pelisser FV
- Issue date: 2015 Jul-Aug
- Antimicrobial efficacy of 0.5% peracetic acid and EDTA with passive ultrasonic or manual agitation in an Enterococcus faecalis biofilm model.
- Authors: Hartmann RC, Neuvald L, Barth V Jr, de Figueiredo JAP, de Oliveira SD, Scarparo RK, Waltrick SB, Rossi-Fedele G
- Issue date: 2019 Apr
- Evaluation of the smear layer removal and decalcification effect of QMix, maleic acid and EDTA on root canal dentine.
- Authors: Ballal NV, Jain I, Tay FR
- Issue date: 2016 Aug
- In vitro comparison of antimicrobial effectiveness of QMix and other final irrigants in human root canals.
- Authors: Liu Y, Guo L, Li Y, Guo X, Wang B, Wu L
- Issue date: 2015 Dec 3