Effect of Advanced Pharmacy Practice Experience Grading Scheme on Residency Match Rates
JournalAmerican journal of pharmaceutical education
PublisherAmerican Association of Colleges of Pharmacy (AACP)
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractObjective. To examine the effect of advanced pharmacy practice experience (APPE) grading schemes on residency match rates. Methods. A cross-sectional survey was administered to U.S. pharmacy schools and colleges to determine an APPE grading scheme. Post-graduate year 1 residency match data for the years 2013-2015 was obtained from the American Society of Health-System Pharmacists. Additional variables thought to affect residency match rates were collected from publicly available sources and prior research. Unadjusted and adjusted multivariate logistic regression analysis was performed to compare 2013-2015 residency match rates between institutions using letter grading and those using pass/fail grading schemes. Potential confounders for incorporation into the adjusted model were identified by Chi-square or Fisher's exact test as appropriate. Results. There were 110 of 126 schools that responded to the survey. Of these, 100 schools reported using either letter grading or pass/fail grading schemes in APPE courses and were included in the study. Unadjusted analysis revealed no difference in match rates between letter grading and pass/fail grading schemes over the aggregated time frame or in individual years. After adjusting for potential confounders, pass/fail grading was associated with higher match rates in the aggregate analysis and in 2013. However, no association was observed in 2014 or 2015. Conclusion. This study demonstrates that there is limited difference in residency match rates between schools using pass/fail or letter grading schemes in APPEs.
Identifier to cite or link to this itemhttps://www.scopus.com/inward/record.uri?eid=2-s2.0-85068556650&doi=10.5688%2fajpe6735&partnerID=40&md5=e38bc73d06cbde870604d43af6ee39c9; http://hdl.handle.net/10713/10611
- Pharmacy residency match rates and predictors.
- Authors: Morton J, Koval P, Gal P
- Issue date: 2013 Dec 16
- Pharmacy Residency School-wide Match Rates and Modifiable Predictors in ACPE-accredited Colleges and Schools of Pharmacy.
- Authors: Whittaker A, Smith KP, Shan G
- Issue date: 2017 Dec
- Preceptor's grading scale preference for student pharmacy practice experience and assessment of the common grading scale among US schools of pharmacy.
- Authors: Varner LH, Radhakrishnan R, Rollins BL
- Issue date: 2018 Feb
- Longitudinal Associations Between Grit, Academic Outcomes, and Residency Match Rates Among Pharmacy Students.
- Authors: Gruenberg K, Brock T, MacDougall C
- Issue date: 2019 Aug
- Impact of Advanced Pharmacy Practice Experiences on Residency Interview Invitations.
- Authors: Clarke CL, Cooper R
- Issue date: 2020 Feb