Differentiating post-cancer from healthy tongue muscle coordination patterns during speech using deep learning
JournalJournal of the Acoustical Society of America
PublisherAcoustical Society of America
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractThe ability to differentiate post-cancer from healthy tongue muscle coordination patterns is necessary for the advancement of speech motor control theories and for the development of therapeutic and rehabilitative strategies. A deep learning approach is presented to classify two groups using muscle coordination patterns from magnetic resonance imaging (MRI). The proposed method uses tagged-MRI to track the tongue's internal tissue points and atlas-driven non-negative matrix factorization to reduce the dimensionality of the deformation fields. A convolutional neural network is applied to the classification task yielding an accuracy of 96.90%, offering the potential to the development of therapeutic or rehabilitative strategies in speech-related disorders. Copyright 2019 Acoustical Society of America.
Identifier to cite or link to this itemhttps://www.scopus.com/inward/record.uri?eid=2-s2.0-85066103401&doi=10.1121%2f1.5103191&partnerID=40&md5=91203651c52ca1d11622dccb66a58ac3; http://hdl.handle.net/10713/10604
- Atlas-Based Tongue Muscle Correlation Analysis From Tagged and High-Resolution Magnetic Resonance Imaging.
- Authors: Xing F, Stone M, Goldsmith T, Prince JL, El Fakhri G, Woo J
- Issue date: 2019 Jul 15
- Determining functional units of tongue motion via graph-regularized sparse non-negative matrix factorization.
- Authors: Woo J, Xing F, Lee J, Stone M, Prince JL
- Issue date: 2014
- A Sparse Non-Negative Matrix Factorization Framework for Identifying Functional Units of Tongue Behavior From MRI.
- Authors: Jonghye Woo, Prince JL, Stone M, Fangxu Xing, Gomez AD, Green JR, Hartnick CJ, Brady TJ, Reese TG, Wedeen VJ, El Fakhri G
- Issue date: 2019 Mar
- Measuring tongue motion from tagged cine-MRI using harmonic phase (HARP) processing.
- Authors: Parthasarathy V, Prince JL, Stone M, Murano EZ, Nessaiver M
- Issue date: 2007 Jan
- Intermittently tagged real-time MRI reveals internal tongue motion during speech production.
- Authors: Chen W, Byrd D, Narayanan S, Nayak KS
- Issue date: 2019 Aug