Diabetes Technology Society Report on the FDA Digital Health Software Precertification Program Meeting
JournalJournal of Diabetes Science and Technology
PublisherSAGE Publications Inc.
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractDiabetes Technology Society (DTS) convened a meeting about the US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Digital Health Software Precertification Program on August 28, 2018. Forty-eight attendees participated from clinical and academic endocrinology (both adult and pediatric), nursing, behavioral health, engineering, and law, as well as representatives of FDA, National Institutes of Health (NIH), National Telecommunications and Information Administration (NTIA), and industry. The meeting was intended to provide ideas to FDA about their plan to launch a Digital Health Software Precertification Program. Attendees discussed the four components of the plan: (1) excellence appraisal and certification, (2) review pathway determination, (3) streamlined premarket review process, and (4) real-world performance. The format included (1) introductory remarks, (2) a program overview presentation from FDA, (3) roundtable working sessions focused on each of the Software Precertification Program's four components, (4) presentations reflecting the discussions, (5) questions to and answers from FDA, and (6) concluding remarks. The meeting provided useful information to the diabetes technology community and thoughtful feedback to FDA. Copyright 2018 Diabetes Technology Society.
Identifier to cite or link to this itemhttps://www.scopus.com/inward/record.uri?eid=2-s2.0-85059458326&doi=10.1177%2f1932296818810436&partnerID=40&md5=03b4b2ae99c7e8a67e2e639894601bf1; http://hdl.handle.net/10713/10603
- U.S. Food and Drug Administration Precertification Pilot Program for Digital Health Software: Weighing the Benefits and Risks.
- Authors: Lee TT, Kesselheim AS
- Issue date: 2018 May 15
- Software-Related Recalls of Health Information Technology and Other Medical Devices: Implications for FDA Regulation of Digital Health.
- Authors: Ronquillo JG, Zuckerman DM
- Issue date: 2017 Sep
- The Role of the FDA in Ensuring the Safety and Efficacy of Artificial Intelligence Software and Devices.
- Authors: Allen B
- Issue date: 2019 Feb
- Food and Drug Administration regulation of diabetes-related mHealth technologies.
- Authors: Brooke MJ, Thompson BM
- Issue date: 2013 Mar 1
- Why certification of medical software would be useful?
- Authors: Forsström J
- Issue date: 1997 Dec