Attention-deficit/hyperactivity disorder in elite athletes: A narrative review
JournalBritish Journal of Sports Medicine
PublisherBMJ Publishing Group
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractAttention-deficit/hyperactivity disorder (ADHD) is a common brain developmental disorder in the general population that may be even more prevalent in elite athletes in certain sports. General population studies of ADHD are extensive and have reported on prevalence, symptoms, therapeutic and adverse effects of treatment and new clinical and research findings. However, few studies have reported on prevalence, symptoms and treatments of ADHD in elite athletes. This narrative review summarises the literature on symptoms, comorbidities, effects of ADHD on performance and management options for elite athletes with ADHD. The prevalence of ADHD in student athletes and elite athletes may be 7%-8%. The symptoms and characteristics of ADHD play a role in athletes' choice of a sport career and further achieving elite status. Proper management of ADHD in elite athletes is important for safety and performance, and options include pharmacologic and psychosocial treatments. Copyright Author(s) (or their employer(s)) 2019.
Identifier to cite or link to this itemhttps://www.scopus.com/inward/record.uri?eid=2-s2.0-85065837280&doi=10.1136%2fbjsports-2019-100713&partnerID=40&md5=eb58a1552cc0bd1edbdf7021c53a47ff; http://hdl.handle.net/10713/10557
- Considerations in the Care of Athletes With Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder.
- Authors: Pujalte GGA, Maynard JR, Thurston MJ, Taylor WC 3rd, Chauhan M
- Issue date: 2019 May
- The Use of Stimulant Medication to Treat Attention-Deficit/Hyperactivity Disorder in Elite Athletes: A Performance and Health Perspective.
- Authors: Garner AA, Hansen AA, Baxley C, Ross MJ
- Issue date: 2018 Mar
- Attention-Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Status and Baseline Neurocognitive Performance in High School Athletes.
- Authors: Salinas CM, Dean P, LoGalbo A, Dougherty M, Field M, Webbe FM
- Issue date: 2016 Oct-Dec
- Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder in Athletes.
- Authors: Ciocca M
- Issue date: 2019 Oct
- Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder: Unique Considerations in Athletes.
- Authors: Stewman CG, Liebman C, Fink L, Sandella B
- Issue date: 2018 Jan/Feb