Action Levels on Dose and Anatomic Variation for Adaptive Radiation Therapy Using Daily Offline Plan Evaluation: Preliminary Results
JournalPractical Radiation Oncology
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractPurpose: This study aimed to develop action levels for replanning to accommodate dosimetric variations resulting from anatomic changes during the course of treatments, using daily cone beam computed tomography (CBCT). Methods and materials: Daily or weekly CBCT images of 20 patients (10 head and neck, 5 lung, and 5 prostate cancers) who underwent resimulation per physicians' clinical decisions, mainly from the comparison of CBCT scans, were used to determine action levels. The first CBCT image acquired before the first treatment was used as the reference image to rule out effects of dose inaccuracy from the CBCT. The Pearson correlation of clinical target volume (CTV) was used as a parameter of anatomic variation. Parameters for action levels on dose and anatomic variation were deduced by comparing the parameters and clinical decisions made for replanning. A software tool was developed to automatically perform all procedures, including dose calculations, using the CBCT and plan evaluations. Results: Replans were clinically decided based on either significant dose or anatomic changes in 13 cases. The 7 cases that did not require replanning showed dose differences <5%, and the Pearson correlation of the CTV was >75% for all fractions. A difference in planning target volume dose >5% or a difference in the image correlation coefficient of the CTV <0.75 proved to be indicators for replanning. Once the results of the CBCT plan met the replanning criteria, the software tool automatically alerted the attending physician and physicist by both e-mail and pager so that the case could be examined closely. Conclusions: Our study shows that a dose difference of 5% and/or anatomy variation at 0.75 Pearson correlations are practical action levels on dose and anatomic variation for replanning for the given data sets.
Identifier to cite or link to this itemhttps://www.scopus.com/inward/record.uri?eid=2-s2.0-85054169133&doi=10.1016%2fj.prro.2018.08.006&partnerID=40&md5=a8c306734d5727d5c46486703600c654; http://hdl.handle.net/10713/10539
- Feasibility of CBCT-based dose with a patient-specific stepwise HU-to-density curve to determine time of replanning.
- Authors: Chen S, Le Q, Mutaf Y, Lu W, Nichols EM, Yi BY, Leven T, Prado KL, D'Souza WD
- Issue date: 2017 Sep
- Investigating CT to CBCT image registration for head and neck proton therapy as a tool for daily dose recalculation.
- Authors: Landry G, Nijhuis R, Dedes G, Handrack J, Thieke C, Janssens G, Orban de Xivry J, Reiner M, Kamp F, Wilkens JJ, Paganelli C, Riboldi M, Baroni G, Ganswindt U, Belka C, Parodi K
- Issue date: 2015 Mar
- Evaluation of online/offline image guidance/adaptation approaches for prostate cancer radiation therapy.
- Authors: Qin A, Sun Y, Liang J, Yan D
- Issue date: 2015 Apr 1
- An evaluation of techniques for dose calculation on cone beam computed tomography.
- Authors: Giacometti V, King RB, Agnew CE, Irvine DM, Jain S, Hounsell AR, McGarry CK
- Issue date: 2019 Apr
- Investigating deformable image registration and scatter correction for CBCT-based dose calculation in adaptive IMPT.
- Authors: Kurz C, Kamp F, Park YK, Zöllner C, Rit S, Hansen D, Podesta M, Sharp GC, Li M, Reiner M, Hofmaier J, Neppl S, Thieke C, Nijhuis R, Ganswindt U, Belka C, Winey BA, Parodi K, Landry G
- Issue date: 2016 Oct