A Novel Prospective Study Assessing the Combination of Photodynamic Therapy and Proton Radiation Therapy: Safety and Outcomes When Treating Malignant Pleural Mesothelioma
JournalPhotochemistry and Photobiology
PublisherBlackwell Publishing Inc.
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractMalignant pleural mesothelioma remains difficult to treat, with high failure rates despite optimal therapy. We present a novel prospective trial combining proton therapy (PT) and photodynamic therapy (PDT) and the largest‐ever mesothelioma PT experience (n = 10). PDT photosensitizers included porfimer sodium (2 mg·kg−1; 24 h drug‐light interval) or 2‐[1‐hexyloxyethyl]‐2‐devinyl pyropheophorbide‐a (HPPH) (4 mg·m−2;48 h) with wavelengths of 630 nm to 60J·cm−2 and 665 nm to 15‐45J·cm−2, respectively. With a median age of 69 years, patients were predominantly male (90%) with epithelioid histology (100%) and stage III‐IV disease (100%). PT was delivered to a median of 55.0 CGE/1.8‐2.0 CGE (range 50–75 CGE) adjuvantly (n = 8) or as salvage therapy (n = 2) following extended pleurectomy/decortication (ePD)/PDT. Two‐year local control was 90%, with distant and regional failure rates of 50% and 30%, respectively. All patients received chemotherapy, and four received immunotherapy. Surgical complications included atrial fibrillation (n = 3), pneumonia (n = 2), and deep vein thrombosis (n = 2). Median survival from PT completion was 19.5 months (30.3 months from diagnosis), and 1‐ and 2‐year survival rates were 58% and 29%. No patient experienced CTCAEv4 grade ≥2 acute or late toxicity. Our prolonged survival in very advanced‐stage patients compares favorably to survival for PT without PDT and photon therapy with PDT, suggesting possible spatial or systemic cooperativity and immune effect. Copyright 2018 The American Society of Photobiology
Identifier to cite or link to this itemhttps://www.scopus.com/inward/record.uri?eid=2-s2.0-85059160684&doi=10.1111%2fphp.13065&partnerID=40&md5=9d3bacbd6352c58fbd4c468a16857234; http://hdl.handle.net/10713/10537
- Extrapleural pneumonectomy, photodynamic therapy and intensity modulated radiation therapy for the treatment of malignant pleural mesothelioma.
- Authors: Du KL, Both S, Friedberg JS, Rengan R, Hahn SM, Cengel KA
- Issue date: 2010 Sep 1
- Phase III randomized trial of surgery with or without intraoperative photodynamic therapy and postoperative immunochemotherapy for malignant pleural mesothelioma.
- Authors: Pass HI, Temeck BK, Kranda K, Thomas G, Russo A, Smith P, Friauf W, Steinberg SM
- Issue date: 1997 Dec
- Extended Pleurectomy-Decortication-Based Treatment for Advanced Stage Epithelial Mesothelioma Yielding a Median Survival of Nearly Three Years.
- Authors: Friedberg JS, Simone CB 2nd, Culligan MJ, Barsky AR, Doucette A, McNulty S, Hahn SM, Alley E, Sterman DH, Glatstein E, Cengel KA
- Issue date: 2017 Mar
- Photodynamic therapy for mesothelioma.
- Authors: Hahn SM, Smith RP, Friedberg J
- Issue date: 2001 Oct
- Radical pleurectomy/decortication and intraoperative radiotherapy followed by conformal radiation with or without chemotherapy for malignant pleural mesothelioma.
- Authors: Lee TT, Everett DL, Shu HK, Jahan TM, Roach M 3rd, Speight JL, Cameron RB, Phillips TL, Chan A, Jablons DM
- Issue date: 2002 Dec