Pulmonary hypertension in COPD: A case study and review of the literature
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractPulmonary hypertension (PH) is a frequently encountered complication of chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD) and is associated with worsened clinical symptoms and prognosis. The prevalence of PH-COPD is not concretely established as classification criteria vary historically, but the presence of severe disease out of proportion to underlying COPD is relatively rare. Right heart catheterization, the gold standard in diagnosis of PH, is infrequently performed in COPD, and the overlap in the clinical symptoms of PH and COPD presents diagnostic challenges. Proven treatments are limited. Trials exploring the use of vasodilator therapy in this patient group generally demonstrate improvements in hemodynamics accompanied by worsening gas exchange without clearly demonstrated improvements in clinically meaningful outcomes. In-depth workup of underlying pulmonary hypertension and use of pulmonary vasodilator medications may be appropriate on an individual basis. We present a case study and a review and discussion of the pertinent literature on this topic. Copyright 2019 by the authors.
Identifier to cite or link to this itemhttps://www.scopus.com/inward/record.uri?eid=2-s2.0-85071158505&doi=10.3390%2fmedicina55080432&partnerID=40&md5=fe550ad4ce4531aeaf9c1987aeff517e; http://hdl.handle.net/10713/10508
- Pulmonary hypertension associated with COPD.
- Authors: Naeije R, Barberà JA
- Issue date: 2001 Dec
- Pulmonary hypertension in patients with chronic obstructive pulmonary disease: advances in pathophysiology and management.
- Authors: Barberà JA, Blanco I
- Issue date: 2009 Jun 18
- Pulmonary hypertension in COPD: a review and consideration of the role of arterial vasodilators.
- Authors: Burger CD
- Issue date: 2009 Apr
- Right Heart Catheterization During Exercise in Patients with COPD-An Overview of Clinical Results and Methodological Aspects.
- Authors: Ewert R, Heine A, Bollmann T, Müller-Heinrich A, Gläser S, Opitz CF
- Issue date: 2018 Dec
- Hemodynamic and gas exchange effects of inhaled iloprost in patients with COPD and pulmonary hypertension.
- Authors: Wang L, Jin YZ, Zhao QH, Jiang R, Wu WH, Gong SG, He J, Liu JM, Jing ZC
- Issue date: 2017