Emergency medicine residency training in Africa: overview of curriculum
JournalBMC medical education
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractBACKGROUND: Emergency Medicine (EM) is a rapidly developing specialty in Africa with several emergency medicine residency-training programs (EMRPs) established across the continent over the past decade. Despite rapid proliferation of the specialty, little is known about emergency care curriculum structure and content. We provide an overview of Africa's EMRPs. METHODS: This was a descriptive cross-sectional survey conducted of EMRPs in Africa between January 2017 and December 2017. Data were prospectively collected using a structured survey that was developed and administered through online data capture software, REDCap (Version 7.2.2, Vanderbilt, Nashville, TN, USA). Survey questions focused on curriculum structure and design, including clinical rotations, didactics, research, and evaluation. Data are summarized with descriptive statistics. RESULTS: The survey was sent to the leadership of 15 EMRPs in 12 different African countries and 11 (73%) responded. Five (46%) of the responding programs were started by local non-EM trained faculty, two (18%) were started by international partners, and the remainder by a combination of local non-EM faculty and international partners. Overall, Seven (64%) of the countries offer a 4-year EMRP. In General, 40% of curriculums are influenced the contents developed by African Federation for Emergency Medicine. All programs offer resident led-didactics, with a median of 12 h (Interquartile range 9-6 h) per month. All EMRPs have a mandatory research requirement. All EMRPs offer clinical rotations in the ED, Paediatrics, and Obstetrics and Gynaecology, while only 2 programs offer rotations in radiology and neonatal intensive care units. Only 46% of EMRPs have in-ED clinical supervision by specialist. CONCLUSION: The EMRPs in Africa were started by non-EM trained local faculty alone or collaboration with international partners. The curriculum offers most exposure to ED, and less exposure in radiology and neonatal intensive care. Residents are highly involved in leading didactics and less than half of the programs have in-ED specialist supervision of patient care.
Identifier to cite or link to this itemhttps://www.scopus.com/inward/record.uri?eid=2-s2.0-85070905792&doi=10.1186%2fs12909-019-1729-1&partnerID=40&md5=7a8325cd530c2b761ed5172731b7040d; http://hdl.handle.net/10713/10498
- Emergency medicine registrar training in Africa: overview of programmes, faculty and sustainability.
- Authors: Akomeah AO, Sawe HR, Mfinanga JA, Runyon MS, Noste EE
- Issue date: 2020 May
- The status of bedside ultrasonography training in emergency medicine residency programs.
- Authors: Counselman FL, Sanders A, Slovis CM, Danzl D, Binder LS, Perina DG
- Issue date: 2003 Jan
- Characteristics of Emergency Medicine Residency Programs in Colombia.
- Authors: Patiño A, Alcalde V, Gutierrez C, Romero MG, Carrillo AM, Vargas LE, Vallejo CE, Zarama V, Mora Rodriguez JL, Bustos Y, Granada J, Aguiar LG, Menéndez S, Cohen JI, Saavedra MA, Rodriguez JM, Roldan T, Arbelaez C
- Issue date: 2017 Oct
- A National Evaluation of the Scholarly Activity Requirement in Residency Programs: A Survey of Emergency Medicine Program Directors.
- Authors: Geyer BC, Kaji AH, Katz ED, Jones AE, Bebarta VS
- Issue date: 2015 Nov
- Design and Implementation of a postgraduate curriculum to support Ethiopia's first emergency medicine residency training program: the Toronto Addis Ababa Academic Collaboration in Emergency Medicine (TAAAC-EM).
- Authors: Meshkat N, Teklu S, Hunchak C, TAAAC-EM and the Global Health Emergency Medicine (GHEM) organization at the Division of Emergency Medicine, University of Toronto.
- Issue date: 2018 Apr 6