Cardiac function assessed by myocardial deformation in adult polycystic kidney disease patients
PublisherBioMed Central Ltd.
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractBackground: Patients with autosomal dominant polycystic kidney disease (ADPKD) have an increased risk of cardiovascular morbidity and mortality. Impaired left ventricular (LV) global longitudinal strain (GLS) can be a sign of subclinical cardiac dysfunction even in patients with otherwise preserved ejection fraction (EF). Transmitral early filling velocity to early diastolic strain rate (E/SRe) is a novel measure of LV filling pressure, which is often affected early in cardiac disease. Methods: A total of 110 ADPKD patients not on dialysis were included in this prospective study. All patients underwent an extensive echocardiographic examination including two-dimensional speckle tracking. GLS and strain rates were measured. The distribution of GLS and E/SRe was determined and patient characteristics were compared by median levels of GLS (- 17.8%) and E/SRe (91.4 cm). Twenty healthy participants were included as control group. Results: There was a significantly worse GLS in the ADPKD patients (mean: - 17.8 ± 2.5%) compared to the healthy controls (mean: - 21.9 ± 1.9%), p < 0.001. The same was true for E/SRe (mean: 10.0 ± 0.3 cm) compared to the control group (mean: 6.5 ± 0.3 cm), p < 0.001. In simple logistic regression, male gender (OR: 4.74 [2.10-10.71], p < 0.001), fasting glucose (odds ratio (OR) 1.05 [1.01-1.10], p = 0.024), htTKV (OR: 1.07 [1.01-1.13], p = 0.013), HDL cholesterol (OR: 0.97 [0.94, 0.996], p = 0.025), triglycerides (OR: 1.01 [1.00-1.02], p = 0.039), hemoglobin (OR: 1.50 [1.11-2.04], p = 0.009), and β-blocker use (OR: 1.07 [1.01, 1.13], p = 0.013) were all associated with higher GLS. After multivariate logistic regression with backward model selection, only male gender (OR: 5.78 [2.27-14.71], p < 0.001) and β-blocker use (OR: 14.00 [1.60, 122.51], p = 0.017) remained significant. In simple logistic regression models, BMI (OR: 1.11 [1.02-1.20], p = 0.015), systolic blood pressure (OR: 1.03 [1.00-1.06], p = 0.027) and β-blocker use (OR: 17.12 [2.15-136.20], p = 0.007) were associated with higher E/SRe - a novel measure of left ventricular filling pressure. After backward elimination, only β-blocker use (OR: 17.22 [2.16, 137.14], p = 0.007) remained significant. Conclusion: Higher GLS and E/SRe are common in ADPKD patients, even in patients with preserved eGFR and normal left ventricular EF. GLS and E/SRe may aid in cardiovascular risk stratification in patients with ADPKD as they represent early markers of cardiac dysfunction. Copyright 2019 The Author(s).
SponsorsThis work was supported by a grant from the Lundbeck Foundation to UCSF to fund Lundbeck Foundation Clinical Research Fellowship for Mats Højbjerg Lassen. Furthermore, Mats Højbjerg Lassen received a research grant from Gentofte & Herlev Hospital. The Baltimore PKD Center and Drs. Seliger and Watnick are supported by a grant from the NIDDKP30 DK090868. MP is supported by NIH/NIDDKK23 DK099238 and a Doris Duke Charitable Foundation Clinical Scientist Development Award.
KeywordAutosomal dominant polycystic kidney disease
Global longitudinal Strain
Two-dimensional speckle tracking echocardiography
Identifier to cite or link to this itemhttps://www.scopus.com/inward/record.uri?eid=2-s2.0-85070894904&doi=10.1186%2fs12882-019-1500-1&partnerID=40&md5=e14af49ee387c5f6df3be662c7390971; http://hdl.handle.net/10713/10491
- Quantitative assessment of systolic left ventricular function with speckle-tracking echocardiography in adult patients with repaired aortic coarctation.
- Authors: Menting ME, van Grootel RW, van den Bosch AE, Eindhoven JA, McGhie JS, Cuypers JA, Witsenburg M, Helbing WA, Roos-Hesselink JW
- Issue date: 2016 May
- Global longitudinal strain is an independent predictor of cardiovascular events in patients with maintenance hemodialysis: a prospective study using three-dimensional speckle tracking echocardiography.
- Authors: Sun M, Kang Y, Cheng L, Pan C, Cao X, Yao H, Dong L, Shu X
- Issue date: 2016 May
- Osteoprotegerin is associated with subclinical left ventricular systolic dysfunction in diabetic hypertensive patients: a speckle tracking study.
- Authors: Kalaycıoğlu E, Gökdeniz T, Aykan AÇ, Hatem E, Gürsoy MO, Ören A, Yaman H, Karadeniz AG, Çelik Ş
- Issue date: 2014 Dec
- Left ventricular global longitudinal strain is associated with exercise capacity in failing hearts with preserved and reduced ejection fraction.
- Authors: Hasselberg NE, Haugaa KH, Sarvari SI, Gullestad L, Andreassen AK, Smiseth OA, Edvardsen T
- Issue date: 2015 Feb
- Effects of chronic cigarette smoking on myocardial deformation parameters by two-dimensional speckle tracking echocardiography.
- Authors: Yaman B, Akpınar O, Cerit L, Kemal HS, Usalp S, Yüksek Ü, Açıkgöz E, Coşkun U, Duygu H
- Issue date: 2019 Nov