MetadataShow full item record
AbstractWe present two cases demonstrating the nuances that must be considered when determining if a patient could benefit from low dose computed tomography (LDCT) lung cancer screening. Our case report discusses the available literature, where it exists, on lung cancer screening with special attention to the impact of chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD), and poor functional status. Patients with COPD and concurrent smoking history are at higher risk of lung cancer and may therefore benefit from lung cancer screening. However, this population is at increased risk for complications related to biopsies and lobar resections. Appropriate interventions other than surgical resection exist for COPD patients with poor pulmonary reserve. Risks and benefits of lung cancer screening are unique to each patient and require shared decision-making. Copyright 2019 by the authors.
SponsorsFunding: Author Janaki Deepak has grant funding through National Institutes of Health, Laboratory of Human Carcinogenesis, CCR, NCI-NO2RC-57700.
Identifier to cite or link to this itemhttps://www.scopus.com/inward/record.uri?eid=2-s2.0-85070441771&doi=10.3390%2fmedicina55070364&partnerID=40&md5=caab106a6ed9b1a6384b66a2c5fd6156; http://hdl.handle.net/10713/10418
- Personalizing annual lung cancer screening for patients with chronic obstructive pulmonary disease: A decision analysis.
- Authors: Lowry KP, Gazelle GS, Gilmore ME, Johanson C, Munshi V, Choi SE, Tramontano AC, Kong CY, McMahon PM
- Issue date: 2015 May 15
- Comparison of two lung cancer screening scores among patients with chronic obstructive pulmonary disease: A community study.
- Authors: Gagnat AA, Gulsvik A, Bakke P, Gjerdevik M
- Issue date: 2019 Feb
- Association of chronic obstructive pulmonary disease and smoking status with bone density and vertebral fractures in male lung cancer screening participants.
- Authors: de Jong WU, de Jong PA, Vliegenthart R, Isgum I, Lammers JW, Oudkerk M, van der Aalst C, de Koning HJ, Mohamed Hoesein FA
- Issue date: 2014 Oct
- Detection of chronic obstructive pulmonary disease in community-based annual lung cancer screening: Chiba Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease Lung Cancer Screening Study Group.
- Authors: Sekine Y, Fujisawa T, Suzuki K, Tsutatani S, Kubota K, Ikegami H, Isobe Y, Nakamura M, Takiguchi Y, Tatsumi K
- Issue date: 2014 Jan
- Lung cancer in patients with chronic obstructive pulmonary disease. Development and validation of the COPD Lung Cancer Screening Score.
- Authors: de-Torres JP, Wilson DO, Sanchez-Salcedo P, Weissfeld JL, Berto J, Campo A, Alcaide AB, García-Granero M, Celli BR, Zulueta JJ
- Issue date: 2015 Feb 1