MetadataShow full item record
AbstractWe present two cases demonstrating the nuances that must be considered when determining if a patient could benefit from low dose computed tomography (LDCT) lung cancer screening. Our case report discusses the available literature, where it exists, on lung cancer screening with special attention to the impact of chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD), and poor functional status. Patients with COPD and concurrent smoking history are at higher risk of lung cancer and may therefore benefit from lung cancer screening. However, this population is at increased risk for complications related to biopsies and lobar resections. Appropriate interventions other than surgical resection exist for COPD patients with poor pulmonary reserve. Risks and benefits of lung cancer screening are unique to each patient and require shared decision-making. Copyright 2019 by the authors.
SponsorsFunding: Author Janaki Deepak has grant funding through National Institutes of Health, Laboratory of Human Carcinogenesis, CCR, NCI-NO2RC-57700.
Identifier to cite or link to this itemhttps://www.scopus.com/inward/record.uri?eid=2-s2.0-85070441771&doi=10.3390%2fmedicina55070364&partnerID=40&md5=caab106a6ed9b1a6384b66a2c5fd6156; http://hdl.handle.net/10713/10418
- Lung cancer screening in patients with chronic obstructive pulmonary disease.
- Authors: Gonzalez J, Marín M, Sánchez-Salcedo P, Zulueta JJ
- Issue date: 2016 Apr
- Personalizing annual lung cancer screening for patients with chronic obstructive pulmonary disease: A decision analysis.
- Authors: Lowry KP, Gazelle GS, Gilmore ME, Johanson C, Munshi V, Choi SE, Tramontano AC, Kong CY, McMahon PM
- Issue date: 2015 May 15
- Overwhelming support among urban Irish COPD patients for lung cancer screening by low-dose CT scan.
- Authors: Pallin M, Walsh S, O'Driscoll MF, Murray C, Cahalane A, Brown L, Carter M, Mitchell P, McDonnell TJ, Butler MW
- Issue date: 2012 Dec
- The added value of hybrid ventilation/perfusion SPECT/CT in patients with stable COPD or apparently healthy smokers. Cancer-suspected CT findings in the lungs are common when hybrid imaging is used.
- Authors: Jögi J, Markstad H, Tufvesson E, Bjermer L, Bajc M
- Issue date: 2015
- Patient-Level Trajectories and Outcomes After Low-Dose CT Screening in the National Lung Screening Trial.
- Authors: Iaccarino JM, Silvestri GA, Wiener RS
- Issue date: 2019 Nov