A Novel Dental Sealant Containing Dimethylaminohexadecyl Methacrylate Suppresses the Cariogenic Pathogenicity of Streptococcus mutans Biofilms
JournalInternational journal of molecular sciences
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractCariogenic oral biofilms are strongly linked to dental caries around dental sealants. Quaternary ammonium monomers copolymerized with dental resin systems have been increasingly explored for modulation of biofilm growth. Here, we investigated the effect of dimethylaminohexadecyl methacrylate (DMAHDM) on the cariogenic pathogenicity of Streptococcus mutans (S. mutans) biofilms. DMAHDM at 5 mass% was incorporated into a parental formulation containing 20 mass% nanoparticles of amorphous calcium phosphate (NACP). S. mutans biofilms were grown on the formulations, and biofilm inhibition and virulence properties were assessed. The tolerances to acid stress and hydrogen peroxide stress were also evaluated. Our findings suggest that incorporating 5% DMAHDM into 20% NACP-containing sealants (1) imparts a detrimental biological effect on S. mutans by reducing colony-forming unit counts, metabolic activity and exopolysaccharide synthesis; and (2) reduces overall acid production and tolerance to oxygen stress, two major virulence factors of this microorganism. These results provide a perspective on the value of integrating bioactive restorative materials with traditional caries management approaches in clinical practice. Contact-killing strategies via dental materials aiming to prevent or at least reduce high numbers of cariogenic bacteria may be a promising approach to decrease caries in patients at high risk.
quaternary ammonium compounds
Identifier to cite or link to this itemhttps://www.scopus.com/inward/record.uri?eid=2-s2.0-85070074318&doi=10.3390%2fijms20143491&partnerID=40&md5=b2d83d3c1392088abd3af53b2b265e3c; http://hdl.handle.net/10713/10370
- Effect of dimethylaminohexadecyl methacrylate mass fraction on fracture toughness and antibacterial properties of CaP nanocomposite.
- Authors: Wu J, Zhou H, Weir MD, Melo MA, Levine ED, Xu HH
- Issue date: 2015 Dec
- Formation of persisters in Streptococcus mutans biofilms induced by antibacterial dental monomer.
- Authors: Wang S, Zhou C, Ren B, Li X, Weir MD, Masri RM, Oates TW, Cheng L, Xu HKH
- Issue date: 2017 Oct 4
- Novel magnetic nanoparticle-containing adhesive with greater dentin bond strength and antibacterial and remineralizing capabilities.
- Authors: Li Y, Hu X, Xia Y, Ji Y, Ruan J, Weir MD, Lin X, Nie Z, Gu N, Masri R, Chang X, Xu HHK
- Issue date: 2018 Sep
- Novel multifunctional dental cement to prevent enamel demineralization near orthodontic brackets.
- Authors: Ma Y, Zhang N, Weir MD, Bai Y, Xu HHK
- Issue date: 2017 Sep
- Bonding durability, antibacterial activity and biofilm pH of novel adhesive containing antibacterial monomer and nanoparticles of amorphous calcium phosphate.
- Authors: Li Y, Hu X, Ruan J, Arola DD, Ji C, Weir MD, Oates TW, Chang X, Zhang K, Xu HHK
- Issue date: 2019 Feb