Risk of Mortality in Individuals with Hip Fracture and Traumatic Brain Injury
JournalJournal of the American Geriatrics Society
PublisherBlackwell Publishing Inc.
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractObjectives: To estimate the prevalence of diagnosed traumatic brain injury (TBI) in individuals hospitalized with hip fracture and examine its association with all-cause mortality. Design: Nested cohort study. Setting: National sample of Medicare beneficiaries from 2006 to 2010. Participants: Beneficiaries aged 65 and older hospitalized with hip fracture. Measurements: TBI at the time of hip fracture was defined using International Classification of Diseases, Ninth Revision, Clinical Modification codes. The main outcome was all-cause mortality during follow-up. Results: Prevalence of TBI in individuals with hip fracture was 2.7%. Absolute risk of mortality attributable to TBI in individuals with hip fracture was 15/100 person-years. TBI was significantly associated with risk of death in multivariable analysis (hazard ratio=1.24, 95% confidence interval=1.14-1.35). Conclusion: TBI was associated with greater risk of mortality in individuals with hip fracture. Practitioners should consider evaluating for presence of TBI in this vulnerable population. J Am Geriatr Soc 67:124-127, 2019. Copyright 2018, the Authors Journal compilation.
SponsorsDr. Albrecht is supported by Agency for Healthcare Quality and Research Grant 1K01HS024560. Dr. Magaziner is supported by National Institute of Aging Grants R37 AG009901 and P30 AG028747.
Identifier to cite or link to this itemhttps://www.scopus.com/inward/record.uri?eid=2-s2.0-85057040881&doi=10.1111%2fjgs.15661&partnerID=40&md5=17748f402971693af1fe61602b38b626; http://hdl.handle.net/10713/10245
- Post-Discharge Mortality of Older Adults with Traumatic Brain Injury or Other Trauma.
- Authors: Albrecht JS, Al Kibria GM, Greene CR, Dischinger P, Ryb GE
- Issue date: 2019 Nov
- Anxiety and Posttraumatic Stress Disorder Among Medicare Beneficiaries After Traumatic Brain Injury.
- Authors: Albrecht JS, Peters ME, Smith GS, Rao V
- Issue date: 2017 May/Jun
- Relative mortality in U.S. Medicare beneficiaries with Parkinson disease and hip and pelvic fractures.
- Authors: Harris-Hayes M, Willis AW, Klein SE, Czuppon S, Crowner B, Racette BA
- Issue date: 2014 Feb 19
- Effects of alcohol-related disease on hip fracture and mortality: a retrospective cohort study of hospitalized Medicare beneficiaries.
- Authors: Yuan Z, Dawson N, Cooper GS, Einstadter D, Cebul R, Rimm AA
- Issue date: 2001 Jul
- Mortality and Readmission After Cervical Fracture from a Fall in Older Adults: Comparison with Hip Fracture Using National Medicare Data.
- Authors: Cooper Z, Mitchell SL, Lipsitz S, Harris MB, Ayanian JZ, Bernacki RE, Jha AK
- Issue date: 2015 Oct