JournalAmerican Journal of Kidney Diseases
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractHypertension and chronic kidney disease (CKD) are closely interlinked pathophysiologic states, such that sustained hypertension can lead to worsening kidney function and progressive decline in kidney function can conversely lead to worsening blood pressure (BP) control. The pathophysiology of hypertension in CKD is complex and is a sequela of multiple factors, including reduced nephron mass, increased sodium retention and extracellular volume expansion, sympathetic nervous system overactivity, activation of hormones including the renin-angiotensin-aldosterone system, and endothelial dysfunction. Currently, the treatment target for patients with CKD is a clinic systolic BP < 130 mm Hg. The main approaches to the management of hypertension in CKD include dietary salt restriction, initiation of treatment with angiotensin-converting enzyme inhibitors or angiotensin receptor blockers, and diuretic therapy. Uncontrolled hypertension can lead to significant cardiovascular morbidity and mortality and accelerate progression to end-stage kidney disease. Although intensive BP control has not been shown in clinical trials to slow the progression of CKD, intensive BP control reduces the risk for adverse cardiovascular outcomes and mortality in the CKD population.
SponsorsDr Ku is funded by NHLBI HL131023.
Keywordambulatory blood pressure monitoring (ABPM)
blood pressure (BP)
chronic kidney disease (CKD)
renin-angiotensin system (RAS)
Identifier to cite or link to this itemhttps://www.scopus.com/inward/record.uri?eid=2-s2.0-85063011514&doi=10.1053%2fj.ajkd.2018.12.044&partnerID=40&md5=a3c7b4f838bcd0030eaf4f4360df3e99; http://hdl.handle.net/10713/10241
- Hypertension in Chronic Kidney Disease.
- Authors: Hamrahian SM, Falkner B
- Issue date: 2017
- Resistant Hypertension On Treatment (ResHypOT): sequential nephron blockade compared to dual blockade of the renin-angiotensin-aldosterone system plus bisoprolol in the treatment of resistant arterial hypertension - study protocol for a randomized controlled trial.
- Authors: Cestário EDES, Fernandes LAB, Giollo-Júnior LT, Uyemura JRR, Matarucco CSS, Landim MIP, Cosenso-Martin LN, Tácito LHB, Moreno H Jr, Vilela-Martin JF, Yugar-Toledo JC
- Issue date: 2018 Feb 12
- Blood pressure management in hypertensive people with non-dialysis chronic kidney disease in Queensland, Australia.
- Authors: Zhang J, Healy HG, Venuthurupalli SK, Tan KS, Wang Z, Cameron A, Hoy WE
- Issue date: 2019 Sep 4
- Management of Hypertension in Patients with Chronic Kidney Disease.
- Authors: Hamrahian SM
- Issue date: 2017 May
- Sodium Intake and Chronic Kidney Disease.
- Authors: Borrelli S, Provenzano M, Gagliardi I, Michael A, Liberti ME, De Nicola L, Conte G, Garofalo C, Andreucci M
- Issue date: 2020 Jul 3