Current opinion and mechanistic interpretation of combination therapy for castration-resistant prostate cancer
JournalAsian Journal of Andrology
PublisherWolters Kluwer Medknow Publications
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractRecent advances in genomics technology have led to the massive discovery of new drug targets for prostate cancer; however, none of the currently available therapeutics is curative. One of the greatest challenges is drug resistance. Combinations of therapies with distinct mechanisms of action represent a promising strategy that has received renewed attention in recent years. Combination therapies exert cancer killing functions through either concomitant targeting of multiple pro-cancer factors or more effective inhibition of a single pathway. Theoretically, the combination therapy can improve efficacy and efficiency compared with monotherapy. Although increasing numbers of drug combinations are currently being tested in clinical trials, the mechanisms by which these combinations can overcome drug resistance have yet to be fully understood. The purpose of this review is to summarize recent work on therapeutic combinations in the treatment of castration-resistant prostate cancer and discuss emerging mechanisms underlying drug resistance. In addition, we provide an overview of the current preclinical mechanistic studies on potential therapeutic combinations to overcome drug resistance. Copyright The Author(s)(2018).
Identifier to cite or link to this itemhttps://www.scopus.com/inward/record.uri?eid=2-s2.0-85064832815&doi=10.4103%2faja.aja_10_19&partnerID=40&md5=e66e33b539709ee26e783b7264afc9b7; http://hdl.handle.net/10713/10189
- Targeting Metastatic Hormone Sensitive Prostate Cancer: Chemohormonal Therapy and New Combinatorial Approaches.
- Authors: Damodaran S, Lang JM, Jarrard DF
- Issue date: 2019 May
- Treating Patients with Metastatic Castration Resistant Prostate Cancer: A Comprehensive Review of Available Therapies.
- Authors: Crawford ED, Higano CS, Shore ND, Hussain M, Petrylak DP
- Issue date: 2015 Dec
- Therapies for castration-resistant prostate cancer in a new era: The indication of vintage hormonal therapy, chemotherapy and the new medicines.
- Authors: Mizokami A, Kadono Y, Kitagawa Y, Izumi K, Konaka H
- Issue date: 2017 Aug
- Androgen receptor targeted therapies in castration-resistant prostate cancer: Bench to clinic.
- Authors: Imamura Y, Sadar MD
- Issue date: 2016 Aug
- Prostate-specific antigen response to deferred combined androgen blockade therapy using bicalutamide predicts survival after subsequent oestrogen and docetaxel therapies in patients with castration-resistant prostate cancer.
- Authors: Kijima T, Fujii Y, Yokoyama M, Ishioka J, Matsuoka Y, Numao N, Saito K, Koga F, Masuda H, Kawakami S, Kihara K
- Issue date: 2012 Oct