Imaging stem cell distribution, growth, migration, and differentiation in 3-D scaffolds for bone tissue engineering using mesoscopic fluorescence tomography
JournalBiotechnology and Bioengineering
PublisherJohn Wiley and Sons Inc.
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractRegenerative medicine has emerged as an important discipline that aims to repair injury or replace damaged tissues or organs by introducing living cells or functioning tissues. Successful regenerative medicine strategies will likely depend upon a simultaneous optimization strategy for the design of biomaterials, cell-seeding methods, cell-biomaterial interactions and molecular signaling within the engineered tissues. It remains a challenge to image three-dimensional (3-D) structures and functions of the cell-seeded scaffold in mesoscopic scale (>2~3 mm). In this study, we utilized angled fluorescence laminar optical tomography (aFLOT), which allows depth-resolved molecular characterization of engineered tissues in 3-D to investigate cell viability, migration and bone mineralization within bone tissue engineering scaffolds in situ. Copyright 2017 Wiley Periodicals, Inc.
SponsorsNational Institutes of Health, Grant number: R01 EB014946
Keyword3-D cell printing
bone tissue scaffold
mesoscopic fluorescence tomography
Identifier to cite or link to this itemhttps://www.scopus.com/inward/record.uri?eid=2-s2.0-85035057526&doi=10.1002%2fbit.26452&partnerID=40&md5=e2f46d5761403441fabab98e71e6c197; http://hdl.handle.net/10713/10148
- Mesoscopic Fluorescence Molecular Tomography for Evaluating Engineered Tissues.
- Authors: Ozturk MS, Chen CW, Ji R, Zhao L, Nguyen BN, Fisher JP, Chen Y, Intes X
- Issue date: 2016 Mar
- Potential of centrifugal seeding method in improving cells distribution and proliferation on demineralized cancellous bone scaffolds for tissue-engineered meniscus.
- Authors: Zhang ZZ, Jiang D, Wang SJ, Qi YS, Zhang JY, Yu JK
- Issue date: 2015 Jul 22
- Nano-ceramic composite scaffolds for bioreactor-based bone engineering.
- Authors: Lv Q, Deng M, Ulery BD, Nair LS, Laurencin CT
- Issue date: 2013 Aug
- Spheroids of stem cells as endochondral templates for improved bone engineering.
- Authors: Baptista LS, Kronemberger GS, Silva KR, Granjeiro JM
- Issue date: 2018 Jun 1
- Oxygen mapping: Probing a novel seeding strategy for bone tissue engineering.
- Authors: Westphal I, Jedelhauser C, Liebsch G, Wilhelmi A, Aszodi A, Schieker M
- Issue date: 2017 Apr