Brain gray matter alterations in Chinese patients with chronic knee osteoarthritis pain based on voxel-based morphometry
JournalMedicine (United States)
PublisherLippincott Williams and Wilkins
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractAltered cerebral gray matter volume (GMV) is commonly found in patients with chronic pain. Chronic pain is the prominent characteristic of knee osteoarthritis (KOA), yet little is known about its morphological changes in the brain. Here an MRI study was performed to examine the structural brain abnormalities in 30 KOA patients with knee pain and age-matched healthy subjects. We detected that the patients exhibited significant almost 2-fold age-related decreases of GMV compared to healthy controls. Moreover, KOA patients also had significant loss of regional GMV including in the bilateral orbital frontal cortex (OFC), the right lateral prefrontal cortex (lPFC), and precentral and postcentral cortices. In addition, a high proportion of KOA patients exerted abnormal scores of Hamilton Depression Rating Scale (HAMD), Hamilton Anxiety Scale (HAMA), Mini Mental State examination (MMSE), and Montreal Cognitive Assessment (MoCA) compare to controls. Our results imply that chronic pain conditions which preferentially involve PFC might consider as a "cognitive state." And emotion and cognitive function about chronic pain should be highly regarded. Copyright © 2018 the Author(s).
Identifier to cite or link to this itemhttps://www.scopus.com/inward/record.uri?partnerID=HzOxMe3b&scp=85045137317&origin=inward; http://hdl.handle.net/10713/10134
- Decreased Regional Grey Matter Volume in Women with Chronic Whiplash-Associated Disorders: Relationships with Cognitive Deficits and Disturbed Pain Processing.
- Authors: Coppieters I, De Pauw R, Caeyenberghs K, Danneels L, Kregel J, Pattyn A, Meeus M, Cagnie B
- Issue date: 2017 Nov
- The impact of fibromyalgia symptoms on brain morphometry.
- Authors: Diaz-Piedra C, Guzman MA, Buela-Casal G, Catena A
- Issue date: 2016 Dec
- Patterns of regional gray matter loss at different stages of schizophrenia: A multisite, cross-sectional VBM study in first-episode and chronic illness.
- Authors: Torres US, Duran FL, Schaufelberger MS, Crippa JA, Louzã MR, Sallet PC, Kanegusuku CY, Elkis H, Gattaz WF, Bassitt DP, Zuardi AW, Hallak JE, Leite CC, Castro CC, Santos AC, Murray RM, Busatto GF
- Issue date: 2016
- Alterations in the gray matter volume in transient ischemic attack: a voxel-based morphometry study.
- Authors: Li R, Guo J, Ma X, Wang S, Zhang J, He L, Gong Q, Chen H
- Issue date: 2015 Jan
- Gray Matter Abnormalities in Non-comorbid Medication-naive Patients with Major Depressive Disorder or Social Anxiety Disorder.
- Authors: Zhao Y, Chen L, Zhang W, Xiao Y, Shah C, Zhu H, Yuan M, Sun H, Yue Q, Jia Z, Zhang W, Kuang W, Gong Q, Lui S
- Issue date: 2017 Jul