The temporal pattern, flux, and function of autophagy in spinal cord injury
JournalInternational Journal of Molecular Sciences
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractPrevious studies have indicated that autophagy plays a critical role in spinal cord injury (SCI), including traumatic spinal cord injury (TSCI) and ischemia-reperfusion spinal cord injury (IRSCI). However, while the undstanding of mechanisms underlying autophagy in SCI has progressed, there remain several controversial points: (1) temporal pattern results of autophagic activation after SCI are not consistent across studies; (2) effect of accumulation of autophagosomes due to the blockade or enhancement of autophagic flux is uncertain; (3) overall effect of enhanced autophagy remains undefined, with both beneficial and detrimental outcomes reported in SCI literature. In this review, the temporal pattern of autophagic activation, autophagic flux, autophagic cell death, relationship between autophagy and apoptosis and pharmacological intervention of autophagy in TSCI (contusion injury, compression injury and hemisection injury) and IRSCI are discussed. Types of SCI and severity appears to contribute to differences in outcomes regarding temporal pattern, flux, and function of autophagy. With future development of specific strategies on autophagy intervention, autophagy may play an important role in improving functional recovery in patients with SCI. Copyright 2017 by the authors; Licensee MDPI, Basel, Switzerland.
SponsorsThe work was supported by R01HL118084 from National Institutes of Health (NIH).
Ischemia-reperfusion spinal cord injury
Traumatic spinal cord injury
Identifier to cite or link to this itemhttps://www.scopus.com/inward/record.uri?eid=2-s2.0-85013748050&doi=10.3390%2fijms18020466&partnerID=40&md5=0c78a8070a281c3557d6953253908828; http://hdl.handle.net/10713/10065
- Metformin Improves Functional Recovery After Spinal Cord Injury via Autophagy Flux Stimulation.
- Authors: Zhang D, Xuan J, Zheng BB, Zhou YL, Lin Y, Wu YS, Zhou YF, Huang YX, Wang Q, Shen LY, Mao C, Wu Y, Wang XY, Tian NF, Xu HZ, Zhang XL
- Issue date: 2017 Jul
- Autophagy is activated in injured neurons and inhibited by methylprednisolone after experimental spinal cord injury.
- Authors: Chen HC, Fong TH, Lee AW, Chiu WT
- Issue date: 2012 Mar 15
- Autophagy Inhibition Favors Survival of Rubrospinal Neurons After Spinal Cord Hemisection.
- Authors: Bisicchia E, Latini L, Cavallucci V, Sasso V, Nicolin V, Molinari M, D'Amelio M, Viscomi MT
- Issue date: 2017 Sep
- Retinoic Acid Induced-Autophagic Flux Inhibits ER-Stress Dependent Apoptosis and Prevents Disruption of Blood-Spinal Cord Barrier after Spinal Cord Injury.
- Authors: Zhou Y, Zhang H, Zheng B, Ye L, Zhu S, Johnson NR, Wang Z, Wei X, Chen D, Cao G, Fu X, Li X, Xu HZ, Xiao J
- Issue date: 2016
- Lithium chloride contributes to blood-spinal cord barrier integrity and functional recovery from spinal cord injury by stimulating autophagic flux.
- Authors: Tong M, He Z, Lin X, Zhou Y, Wang Q, Zheng Z, Chen J, Xu H, Tian N
- Issue date: 2018 Jan 22