Distinct Translaminar Glutamatergic Circuits to GABAergic Interneurons in the Neonatal Auditory Cortex
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractGABAergic activity is important in neocortical development and plasticity. Because the maturation of GABAergic interneurons is regulated by neural activity, the source of excitatory inputs to GABAergic interneurons plays a key role in development. We show, by laser-scanning photostimulation, that layer 4 and layer 5 GABAergic interneurons in the auditory cortex in neonatal mice (<P7) receive extensive translaminar glutamatergic input via NMDAR-only synapses. Extensive translaminar AMPAR-mediated input developed during the second postnatal week, whereas NMDAR-only presynaptic connections decreased. GABAergic interneurons showed two spatial patterns of translaminar connection: inputs originating predominantly from supragranular or from supragranular and infragranular layers, including the subplate, which relays early thalamocortical activity. Sensory deprivation altered the development of translaminar inputs. Thus, distinct translaminar circuits to GABAergic interneurons exist throughout development, and the maturation of excitatory synapses is input-specific. Glutamatergic signaling from subplate and intracortical sources likely plays a role in the maturation of GABAergic interneurons. Copyright 2017 The Author(s)
SponsorsThis work was supported by NIH RO1DC009607 (to P.O.K.) and NIH R01GM056481 (to J.P.Y.K.).
Identifier to cite or link to this itemhttps://www.scopus.com/inward/record.uri?eid=2-s2.0-85019215279&doi=10.1016%2fj.celrep.2017.04.044&partnerID=40&md5=ec0935005de565585aed7cd2987e81f0; http://hdl.handle.net/10713/10056
- Differential signaling to subplate neurons by spatially specific silent synapses in developing auditory cortex.
- Authors: Meng X, Kao JP, Kanold PO
- Issue date: 2014 Jun 25
- Input-specific maturation of NMDAR-mediated transmission onto parvalbumin-expressing interneurons in layers 2/3 of the visual cortex.
- Authors: Ferrer C, Hsieh H, Wollmuth LP
- Issue date: 2018 Dec 1
- Afferent specific role of NMDA receptors for the circuit integration of hippocampal neurogliaform cells.
- Authors: Chittajallu R, Wester JC, Craig MT, Barksdale E, Yuan XQ, Akgül G, Fang C, Collins D, Hunt S, Pelkey KA, McBain CJ
- Issue date: 2017 Jul 28
- A Transient Translaminar GABAergic Interneuron Circuit Connects Thalamocortical Recipient Layers in Neonatal Somatosensory Cortex.
- Authors: Marques-Smith A, Lyngholm D, Kaufmann AK, Stacey JA, Hoerder-Suabedissen A, Becker EB, Wilson MC, Molnár Z, Butt SJ
- Issue date: 2016 Feb 3
- Tonic Activation of GluN2C/GluN2D-Containing NMDA Receptors by Ambient Glutamate Facilitates Cortical Interneuron Maturation.
- Authors: Hanson E, Armbruster M, Lau LA, Sommer ME, Klaft ZJ, Swanger SA, Traynelis SF, Moss SJ, Noubary F, Chadchankar J, Dulla CG
- Issue date: 2019 May 8