New breakthroughs in understanding the role of functional interactions between the neocortex and the claustrum
JournalJournal of Neuroscience
PublisherSociety for Neuroscience
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractAlmost all areas of the neocortex are connected with the claustrum, a nucleus located between the neocortex and the striatum, yet the functions of corticoclaustral and claustrocortical connections remain largely obscure. As major efforts to model the neocortex are currently underway, it has become increasingly important to incorporate the corticoclaustral system into theories of cortical function. This Mini-Symposium was motivated by a series of recent studies which have sparked new hypotheses regarding the function of claustral circuits. Anatomical, ultrastructural, and functional studies indicate that the claustrum is most highly interconnected with prefrontal cortex, suggesting important roles in higher cognitive processing, and that the organization of the corticoclaustral system is distinct from the driver/modulator framework often used to describe the corticothalamic system. Recent findings supporting roles in detecting novel sensory stimuli, directing attention and setting behavioral states, were the subject of the Mini-Symposium at the 2017 Society for Neuroscience Annual Meeting. Copyright 2017 the authors.
SponsorsThis work was supported by National Institute of Neurological Diseases R01NS085121toS.P.B., NationalInstitute on Alcohol Abuse and Alcoholism K22AA021414 and R01AA024845 to B.N.M., National Eye Institute R01EY016155 and R21EY021016 and various foundations.
Identifier to cite or link to this itemhttps://www.scopus.com/inward/record.uri?eid=2-s2.0-85033577197&doi=10.1523%2fJNEUROSCI.1837-17.2017&partnerID=40&md5=9771336d72a311c76b19a750da4720cd; http://hdl.handle.net/10713/10053
- Synaptic Organization of the Neuronal Circuits of the Claustrum.
- Authors: Kim J, Matney CJ, Roth RH, Brown SP
- Issue date: 2016 Jan 20
- Inhibitory Control of Prefrontal Cortex by the Claustrum.
- Authors: Jackson J, Karnani MM, Zemelman BV, Burdakov D, Lee AK
- Issue date: 2018 Sep 5
- Sensory maps in the claustrum of the cat.
- Authors: Olson CR, Graybiel AM
- Issue date: 1980 Dec 4
- The combined retrograde transport and unbiased stereological study of the claustrocortical connections in the rabbit.
- Authors: Kowiański P, Moryś J, Dziewiatkowski J, Karwacki Z, Wisniewski HM
- Issue date: 2000 Mar
- Organization of the Claustrum-to-Entorhinal Cortical Connection in Mice.
- Authors: Kitanishi T, Matsuo N
- Issue date: 2017 Jan 11