Possibility and challenges of conversion of current virus species names to Linnaean binomials
PublisherOxford University Press
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractBotanical, mycological, zoological, and prokaryotic species names follow the Linnaean format, consisting of an italicized Latinized binomen with a capitalized genus name and a lower case species epithet (e.g., Homo sapiens). Virus species names, however, do not follow a uniform format, and, even when binomial, are not Linnaean in style. In this thought exercise, we attempted toconvert all currently official names ofspecies included in the virusfamily Arenaviridae and the virus order Mononegavirales to Linnaean binomials, and to identify and address associated challenges and concerns. Surprisingly, this endeavor was not as complicated or time-consuming as even the authors of this article expected when conceiving the experiment. Copyright The Author(s) 2016.
SponsorsThis work was supported in part through Battelle Memorial Institute's prime contract with the US National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases (NIAID) under Contract No. HHSN272200700016I. A subcontractor to Battelle Memorial Institute who performed this work is J.H.K., an employee of Tunnell Government Services, Inc. This work was also funded in part under National Institutes of Health (NIH) contract HHSN272201000040I/HHSN27200004/D04 and R24AI120942 (N.V., R.B.T.), and the National Science Foundation (NSF) Individual Research and Development (IR/D) program (A.R.M.).
International committee on taxonomy of viruses
Identifier to cite or link to this itemhttps://www.scopus.com/inward/record.uri?eid=2-s2.0-85019757651&doi=10.1093%2fsysbio%2fsyw096&partnerID=40&md5=19054f2221254b642275584cd241696e; http://hdl.handle.net/10713/10028
- A proposal to change existing virus species names to non-Latinized binomials.
- Authors: Van Regenmortel MH, Burke DS, Calisher CH, Dietzgen RG, Fauquet CM, Ghabrial SA, Jahrling PB, Johnson KM, Holbrook MR, Horzinek MC, Keil GM, Kuhn JH, Mahy BW, Martelli GP, Pringle C, Rybicki EP, Skern T, Tesh RB, Wahl-Jensen V, Walker PJ, Weaver SC
- Issue date: 2010 Nov
- A brief history of the species concept in virology and an opinion on the proposal to introduce Linnaean binomial virus species names.
- Authors: Van Regenmortel MHV
- Issue date: 2020 Dec
- Binomial nomenclature for virus species: a long view.
- Authors: Gibbs A
- Issue date: 2020 Dec
- Species names in phylogenetic nomenclature.
- Authors: Cantino PD, Bryant HN, de Queiroz K, Donoghue MJ, Eriksson T, Hillis DM, Lee MS
- Issue date: 1999 Dec
- Strengthening the Interaction of the Virology Community with the International Committee on Taxonomy of Viruses (ICTV) by Linking Virus Names and Their Abbreviations to Virus Species.
- Authors: Calisher CH, Briese T, Brister JR, Charrel RN, Dürrwald R, Ebihara H, Fulhorst CF, Gāo GF, Groschup MH, Haddow AD, Hyndman TH, Junglen S, Klempa B, Klingström J, Kropinski AM, Krupovic M, LaBeaud AD, Maes P, Nowotny N, Nunes MRT, Payne SL, Radoshitzky SR, Rubbenstroth D, Sabanadzovic S, Sasaya T, Stenglein MD, Varsani A, Wahl V, Weaver SC, Zerbini FM, Vasilakis N, Kuhn JH
- Issue date: 2019 Sep 1